This got me to thinking (dangerous prospect, to be sure!) that this is a real possibility.
Given the coming mass self-immolation of the Republican Party, all that would remain would be the extent of the damage and how deep it went. If this damage is more than expected, the scenario could cause real consternation among those of the 'Y' chromosome.
Consider this: a major Republican meltdown occurs when Gingrich gets the nomination. (settle down, this is pretend time) Independents leave the GOP like fleas off a drowning dog. Ron Paul would try a third party but he'll cause more grief to the GOP than the Dems. So let's say Hillary Clinton does it and becomes the first woman president. The only way a woman is getting elected would be the meltdown of the GOP first.(this is the meltdown BEFORE she gets elected, not the one that happens afterward) Given that situation then you know the Dems would retake the House and guess who takes back the Speaker's Gavel? Yep, Nancy Pelosi. Heh!
But it could get more interesting... Harry Reid is not long to the Majority Leader's chair. He hasn't the goods to keep it together under these conditions. One name that comes to mind is Sen. Patty Murray of Washington. Unlikely? Perhaps, but possible. She has made a name for herself within the Senate Leadership and, since her pet project is veteran's issues, she's made a lot of allies in key places like Defense and Justice. So, she could very well assume the Majority Leader position.
President Hillary Clinton, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, and Majority Leader Patty Murray. Kinda gives ya da shivers, eh guys? Tell me, what man on earth would want to be Vice-President here? Name one.
Now, this ain't a prediction. (Unless you're reading this post some years in the future and are marveling at my prescience!) But what I will say is that the only thing keeping this from happening is fear, GOP fear. The Republican Party is terrified of Hillary Clinton. She scares the meat right outta their seat. If Hillary gets the Big Chair and Pelosi is Speaker, look for a lot of shit to get done.
- Thousands of miles of freeway/highway will be repaired and rebuilt. Look for restrooms every five miles.
- More women will be empowered to try for higher ranks in the Defense Dept. Women will fully integrate into the military, no holds, no barriers. Berthing compartments on board Navy ships will smell better.
- Dept. of Agriculture gets some needed attention toward food safety, hiring lots of new inspectors and regulators. Expect tougher response to violators, increased prosecution of the worst ones and Heaven help those who's products harm a child.
- Testicles will shrink everywhere south of the Mason-Dixon Line.
- Wing Nut Radio is strangely quiet since every right wing talking head exploded into a steaming pile of goo upon hearing the last electoral vote cast giving Hillary the presidency.
- While Pres. Clinton gives her first State of the Union speech, Depends sales skyrocket in the DC area.
While this has been fun, it still begs the question - Is it time? We got our first African-American president almost by accident. Obama popped on the scene only a few years before he went after the Big Chair. A woman in the Oval Office is entirely possible, even preferable. As we have seen through GW Bush, any man can get the job if he has the right backing. Strong or weak, it doesn't matter. But for a woman to get close, like Mrs. Clinton did in 2008, takes a will of iron and a constitution of stone. She could position herself in the next four years to get the nomination and win the Chair. Her only threat would be whatever is left of the Republican Party after this election.
Personally, I don't see the GOP coming out of this election without losing some major organs but a lot can happen in four years. If nothing else, it'll make for great theater.
So Mote It Be,