Wednesday, January 14, 2009

OK, Atrios, I'll bite...


Over at Eschaton, Atrios goes on (and on and on and on) about Supertrains. At the local watering hole, Horses' Ass, Goldy and his crew go on (and on and on) about transit issues here in Seattle.

Personally, I like transit or at least the idea of it. I live in one of the suburbs of Seattle and transit sucks. It doesn't just suck, it blows a fetid wind of graft and ineptitude rivaled only by the actions of Bush' pet, Brownie, during the Katrina Debacle. Sound Transit, the local transit authority, couldn't get me across the street without 3 transfers and a 45 min wait for the next bus.

Their motto is: "You can't get there from here."

Light rail is opening up south of Seattle and some points north. This mainly serves the city and has NO bearing on me. Now, I could drive to Tukwila and take the rail into Downtown, or sit on a bus from my apartment for 95 minutes. Either way, I have to take off an entire day just to go to Seattle for whatever business I need. Forget driving, I have enough trouble getting my car to make the straight stretch to work, let alone navigate the alpine hills and NASCAR wannabes of downtown Seattle.

I am the perfect customer for light rail but I sit in the Renton Highlands waiting for a bus that will come late. Lots to do here but it ain't the bright lights of the Big City. And if I want to see a concert or something that is later than 10pm, well, I guess I gotta get a cab. So much for decent entertainment.

But hey, I'll always have Jimi.


(he's been my neighbor for almost 20 years. Rest well, sir.)

So Mote It Be,
David A.

No comments: